curious directive Price: $16.30
A sci-fi thriller which tells the futuristic tale of humankind's first efforts to colonize Mars
"We have all stared up at the stars and desperately tried to put into words what it is that we are feeling. This mission is an articulation of that wonder"
It's 2029 ...
... the first human mission to Mars has disappeared without a trace
... a reclusive Indian billionaire has funded Ghara I, a new attempt to achieve this dream
... in Siberia, two Russian brothers reconnect by driving a Lada Sputnik 1.3 in search of the birth of space travel
... at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, Maartje holds on to a secret about her sister
And on Mars, Imke and Oskar - a young Dutch couple - are mysteriously separated
Pioneer shuttles you from the Garden of Eden to Mission Control and on to the surface of Mars
"We tend not to see much science-fiction on stage. It's a genre more readily associated with literature, film or television, where the available scope is much wider. Curious Directive, however, make a strong case for its theatrical viability in Pioneer, their impressively expansive new look at space exploration and human progress ... Pioneer has a remarkably well-honed aesthetic. The key to convincing sci-fi on stage, it would seem, is simplicity ... Both intellectually and theatrically assured ~ Whatsonstage
"A thoughtful show that moves confidently between the wastelands of Siberia, deep-water research at the bottom of the ocean and into space itself as it celebrates the human hunger for discovery" ~ Guardian
curious directive are a young, award-winning devising theatre ensemble of twenty-nine actors, directors, bio-medical scientists, choreographers, writers, producers, video artists, technicians, composers and designers, founded in 2008.
Their work addresses the role that science plays in everyday life
They aim to create accessible and innovative science/theatre experiences which encourage its audiences to be curious about the world, peering through the lens of science
- Four Plays - The Bald Soprano & The Lesson & Jack or the Submission & The Chairs Eugene Ionesco
- Bald Prima Donna aka Bald Soprano Eugene Ionesco trans Donald Watson
- Eugene Ionesco - The New Tenant & Amedee & Victims of Duty Eugene Ionesco trans Donald Watson
- Israel Horovitz Plays 1 - The Indian Wants the Bronx & Line & The Widow’s Blind Date & Park Your Car in Harvard Yard & Cat-Lady Israel Horovitz with Preface by Eugene Ionesco
- The Bald Soprano and Other Plays - The Lesson & Jack or The Submission & The Chairs Eugene Ionesco trans Donald M Allen
- Eugene Ionesco - Plays - Volume 4 - Rhinocerus & The Leader & The Future in Eggs Eugene Ionesco