Bertolt Brecht - Collected Plays Volume 1 - 1918-1923 - Baal & Drums in the Night & In the Jungle of Cities & The Life of Edward II of England & A Respectable Wedding & The Beggar or the Dead Dog & Driving Out a Devil & Lux in Tenebris & The Catch
Bertolt Brecht Price: $27.95
Baal is inspired by Brecht's student life in Augsburg and follows the life of a young poet on the rocky road to inspiration
Drums in the Night was written in response to Brecht's experience as a medical orderly in the aftermath of the First World War
In the Jungle of Cities, set in Chicago, covers the downfall of a family that has moved from the prairies to the jungle of the big city - award-winning in its day, it was described by a leading German daily as the play that "has given our time a new tone, a new melody, a new vision"
This volume also includes The Life of Edward II of England, a ballad-like adaptation of Marlowe's original
And five one-act plays ... The Beggar and the Dead Dog, Driving Out The Devil, Lux in Tenebris, The Catch & A Respectable Wedding in which the bourgeois proceedings take a hilarious turn for the unseemly
The translators are Jean Benedetti (The Life of Edward II of England; A Respectable Wedding), Eva Geiser and Ernest Borneman (Lux in Tenebris), Richard Grünberger (Driving Out a Devil), Michael Hamburger (The Beggar or the Dead Dog), Gerhard Nellhaus (In the Jungle of Cities), Peter Tegel (Baal) and John Willett (Drums in the Night; The Catch)
The translations are ideal for both study and performance. The volume is accompanied by a full introduction and notes by the series editor John Willett and includes Brecht's own notes and relevant texts as well as all the important textual variants.
The most comprehensive and authoritative editions of Brecht's plays in the English language
- The Modern Theatre Vol 6 - Lorezaccio & Spring’s Awakening & The Underpants & A Social Success & The Alfred de Musset & Frank Wedekind & Carl Sternheim & Max Beerbohm & Bertolt Brecht
- The Caucasian Chalk Circle Bertolt Brecht - trans James & Tania Stern with W.H. Auden
- The Caucasian Chalk Circle Bertolt Brecht trans Frank McGuinness
- Bertolt Brecht - Collected Plays Vol 3 Part 1 - Saint Joan of the Stockyards Bertolt Brecht - trans Ralph Manheim - intro John Willett - HARDBACK
- Mother Courage and Her Children - STUDENT EDITION Bertolt Brecht
- The Caucasian Chalk Circle - STUDENT EDITION with Commentary + Notes Bertolt Brecht - trans James & Tania Stern with W.H. Auden